Thursday 4 December 2014

Topshelf @ TTDI - Omakase Experience (3rd Edition - 6 course meal)

0

Omakase i.e. leave it to the chefs. This is my 2nd Omakase experience. My first was in Kame Sushi. Unforgettable. This second is no different. 

The chef's homemade sourdough bread. 

Cheers!

Shell fish (Lobster) bisque with saffron foam on top. Crispy Prawn head. Mirroring latte with biscuits on the side. Nice touch.  

Salmon, pickled asparagus, carrots and cucumbers with horseradish dressing. Pleasant start to my appetite. 

Canard A' L'orange : Duck cooked with orange to perfection with a twist of asian - crispy wonton skin and honey balsamic sauce. Every component complements each other very well. So Yummy I wanna eat again!

The 2 chefs focused to complete their masterpiece. Yes, they plate in front of us. Really an eye-opener. Before each meal, they will explain the dish. I might have missed out most of the details as they were quite complex terms and I was busy taking picture of my food. (Yikez!) Sorry, I'm hungry, but my camera needs to eat first. 

Halibut with mushrooms and clam sauce to bring us to the sea. This is the winning dish. Everything is just perfecto! The fish just melts in my mouth. The mash potatoes are just so creamy and smooth. I thought the tiny crispy bits of mushrooms goes very well with the mash. Like OMG YUMS!

I believe this is 'sous-vide' method of lamb belly. i.e. cooking in a vacuum pack, for long hours and lower temperature to maintain the tenderness of the lamb. My my, I have heard of this method from watching Master Chef, but now I have the chance to sample it! Love the roasted eggplant dressing on the side. 

To the very last detail. 

Too pretty to eat! Irish Parfait & Lime Chocolate.

Verdict:
Food: 9.5/10
The food taste as good as it looks. Every plate has its own story which the chefs explained in great detail to us. They went through a number of tastings to get to this final menu. With only 12 pax, quality of each and every item served to us is ensured of consistency. The only trivial comment I can give is that plating the hot dishes in an air-conditioned room may not be such a good idea. As the dishes can get cold faster. Still warm though, just preferred if it is a little warmer. Prob have heat lamps?

Ambiance: 7.5/10
I love the decor and the warm lighting. It's sushi bar/communal dining whereby we have front row seats to the chefs' master plating skills. It is an experience on its own to watch them in action, but might be quite hard to engage in conversation if you are seated in opposite ends, i suppose.

Note: Omakase is only available every last sunday on the month (and they are only opened from Mon-Sat), so usually they will serve their normal french menu and the seating will be back to normal. 

$$$: 8/10
Reasonably priced for a 6 course omakase meal. Definitely left with a full and satisfied tummy. Would have preferred if they offer filtered water instead of Aqua Panna. RM12 per bottle. However, I don't think this is avoidable in fine dining restaurants. 

Will definitely be back to try their normal menu. Can't wait!

XOXO,
Ms Sue_eats


Details:
Open: 4 pm to 12 midnight (Monday to Saturday) for their normal menu; 
          Omakase on the Last Sunday each month (limited pax for omakase)
03-7727 7277
https://www.facebook.com/topshelf.kl
http://topshelf.com.my/
  • 61, Lorong Rahim Kajai 13, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, 60000, Kuala Lumpur

0 comments:

Post a Comment