Friday 29 May 2015

Post Pregnancy Story Ep3 Post Natal Supplement Pregnant or Lactating Mum

0

Supplement for Post Natal Mummy

Eat healthy and feed healthy

The kiasu-ness me,

always survey, google and ask around before deciding.
My first pregnancy, I was with Dr Delaila, who was a very very nice, chirp and patient gynae. She prescribed the essential supplement to me which is required for every pregnant woman. I was taking calcium, fish oil and multivit till i deliver.
For my whole 8 months of breast feeding (6 months of exclusive pump), I did not take any supplement as my gynae said that so long i maintaing a good diet then it should be fine.
Then come my second pregnancy, I was with Dr Tang Boon Nee as Dr Delaila was no longer practicing. Dr Tang is very much different from Dr Delaila. She encourage very much on taking necessary supplements.

How i started,

come in touch with different supplement is from my group of friends.
Don’t be surprise when you hear numerous brand pops up which I even know until I start asking!
Nutrilite, Herbalife Nu Skin, USANA, Shaklee One-a-day, GNC, centrum, E-Excel, Nature Made and all the way to Blackmore.
Most of the them introduced me to E-excel, GNC and Nutrilite. Then after my friend, mei kee who is taking USANA supplement since her early pregnancy strongly “promote” USANA (she was then already a member). All right. Me being a skeptical person always have this thing with MLM products (all the products mention above are MLM). But no harm trying, I was thinking.
Focusing the supplement I need that I blogged, I would share my review as follows :)

First, Calcium!!

Image Image Image
From left to right, Nutrilite USANA & GNC
Each tablet of Nutrilite consist of:
    • Calcium: 200 mg
    • Magnesium: 66.7mg
    • Vit D: 200IU
    • Zinc: 5mg
Each tablet of USANA consist of:
    • Calcium: 200 mg
    • Magnesium: 100mg
    • Vit D: 100IU
Each tablet of GNC consist of:
    • Calcium: 600 mg
    • Magnesium: 300mg
    • Vit D: 400IU
My earlier post shared about the required daily intake as follows:
    • Calcium: 1000mg
    • Magnesium: 350mg
    • Vit D: 200 IU
    • Zinc 11mg
My thought?
I spoke to each sales consultant and understand that
    • the best ratio of calcium absorption is to take with magnesium with the ration of 2:1 or 3:1
    • calcium chelate is better than calcium citrate as it can be easily absorb and cause little or no gastrointestinal
    • calcium carbonate is the worst! sadly, most of the supplement do use this as the ingredient
Looking at this, USANA is better as
    • it has the best calcium, magnesium ratio compared to GNC and Nutrilite
    • i won’t overdose myself with the magnesium and Vit D if i take USANA 5 tablets or 1000mg of calcium compared to  GNC 2 tablets or 1200mg of calcium (bear in mind we need only 1000mg) where USANA 1000mg of calcium equal to 500mg of mag and 500IU of Vit D but GNC 1000mg of calcium equal to 700mg of mag and 800IU of Vit D!!
The only con about taking USANA is, it is super expensive as compared to other GNC and Nutrilite. Per tablet USANA cost RM0.60, GNC cost RM0.40 while Nutrilite cost RM0.30 (all price from Amazon.com). Not to mention USANA need to consume 5 tablets which is RM3.50/day, Nurilite also 5 tablets but only RM1.50/day,  GNC only 2 tablets at RM0.80/day to obtain the necessary calcium dosage.
What’s your verdict?
Well, i can say if you are USANA member then it is worth taking it or else, GNC is a much economical choice.

Second, Vit D!!

 Well, since calcium already contain the necessary Vit D, it should be fine it is.

Third, Fish Oil!!

Screen shot 2014-06-27 at 4.08.42 PMScreen shot 2014-06-27 at 4.00.18 PM









For fish oil, the ingredient mainly are EPA and DHA
Each tablet of Nutrilite consist of:
    • EPA: 1200mg
    • DHA: 600mg
Each tablet of USANA consist of:
    • Fish Oil: 1000mg
    • EPA: 290mg
    • DHA: 235mg
Each tablet of GNC consist of:
    • Fish Oil:1500mg
    • EPA: 540mg
    • DHA: 360mg
There are nothing much to compare about fish oil in terms of ingredient as there is no overdose clinically proven result. So it is the more you take the better it is?
No.
I research and found out that fish oil are NOT all the same, read here.
Thus, how to choose the best? Purity is the criteria. Tips? Put your fish oil in the freezer and see whether it will be frozen. If it is not, then higher the purity is.
Tried a few different brand and notice Nutrilite and GNC do become frozen (not fully) and USANA is NOT frozen.
What’s your verdict?
My thought? USANA it is, despite it is more expensive!
Nutrilite RM1.50/capsule, USANA RM1.60/capsule, GNC RM1.20/capsule

 Sharing of my result,


I do see different between my breast milk for taking supplement and without, read it at my blog!
* All the ingredients are obtained from the respective website as at 26 July 2014 and all above is solely my own sharing and research. It does not represent any of the companies or do not constitute ads or whatsoever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment